Friday, September 4, 2015

Choosing the Right Yarn for Felting

It is a time consuming lesson to learn: not all yarns labeled 100% wool, felt.

Unfortunately, you learn the hard way - at the very end

and you can not undo what has been done


bottom too big - top correct size
Left - 4 washes - Right 1.5 washes
Not all yarns labeled 100% wool felt - sad but true. Why? I am not 100% sure, but I do have an idea. I believe it may depend on the process that it takes to create the yarn. If chemicals where added to whiten or color added, this could possibly change the natural process of felting the wool. Or it may not be 100% wool but a blend of other fibers. As consumers, we only have the label to go by and need to trust the product.
I have always had success with Lion Brand Fisherman's Yarn. It is my top pick. My second choice is, Patons Classic Wool Yarn. My favorite colors to use are Dark Gray Mix, Red, and Plum Heather. I have also used successfully, Cascade 220 and Ella Rae. There is always a "good" yarn for each project and I hope that your next felting project is a success.

Please feel free to share your favorite yarn to use for felting! 


Left floppy - Right firm

No comments:

Post a Comment